About Harrison Park
Harrison Park was presented to the town in 1896 by the Harrison family, in memory of their parents. Cricket, Bowls and Tennis were frequently played in the summer season and it is a popular place for families. Harrison Drive was opened on 24th June 1901 which cost the Council £7,580 to build and takes its name from the family. Blown sand would often cover the road, indeed sometimes it was so bad that only the upper portion of the lamp-posts could be seen. The surrounding area, down to the promenade, is always referred to as 'Harrison Drive'.
After the Enclosure Acts there were very few open spaces accessible to the public. The first major acquisition of the Local Board was the purchase of the Liscard Hall Estate, since that date many other open spaces have been acquired, the two most important being Harrison Park, presented to the town in 1896 by the family of James Harrison in memory of their parents, and Vale Park.
“The nation behaves well if it treats its natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased, and not impaired, in value.” .
Harrison park is here...